When: Friday 22 April, 5:00-6:30 pm (Santiago & Washington DC time)
Where: On Microsoft Team – click on this link.
Overview: In 2021, the Escazú Agreement entered into force. The Agreement brings several legal questions with innovative provisions that must now be translated at the national and local levels. To facilitate the implementation of the Escazú Agreement, the GNHRE, in collaboration with various actors including legal environmental scholars from around the world, discussed key aspects of the Escazu’s Agreement implementation and formulated the GNHRE Principles for the Implementation of the Escazú Agreement. Therefore, the objective of this side-event is to launch the GNHRE Principles for the Implementation of the Escazú Agreement as a contribution to the debate about the Escazú Agreement from a group of legal environmental and human rights scholars active in the GNHRE. This event will contribute with progressive and evidence-based arguments about the implementation of the Escazú Agreement; and move forward this debate involving academic and policy communities in the Americas and the rest of the world. This event is of interest to legal and environmental scholars, government officers, decision-makers, and anyone involved or interested in the implementation of the Escazú Agreement.
Agenda and Speakers:
Moderator: Ms Natalia Urzola
- Welcome and the presentation of the GNHRE and of the event ( Dr Dina Lupin & Mr Héctor Herrera).
- Presentation of the process of The GNHRE Implementing Principles for The Escazú Agreement ( Dr Maria Antonia Tigre).
- Presentation of the content of The GNHRE Implementing Principles for The Escazú Agreement (Mr Daniel Noroña).
- Comments on The GNHRE Implementing Principles for The Escazú Agreement (Dr Gastón Medici-Colombo).
- Comments regarding the UN Secretary-General Call to Action for Human Rights (Dr Claudia Ituarte-Lima).
- Questions/Debate (Moderated by Ms Natalia Urzola).